D perfomance

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 19:37:58 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 25 April 2020 at 22:15:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/25/2020 3:34 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> In any case, I seriously doubt those kinds of optimization
>> have anything to do with the web framework performance
>> differences.
>
> I agree. I also generally structure my code so that
> optimization wouldn't make a difference. But it's still a
> worthwhile benefit to add it for @live functions.
I heard that proving that two pointers do not alias is a big
problem in compiler backends and that some or most auto
vectorization optimizations do not fire because compiler can't
prove no aliasing.

A new language used in Unity game engine is designed such that
references do not alias by default for optimization reasons. I
haven't looked into this topic further but I believe its worth
checking it out. Data science people would benefit greatly from
autovectoriztion