We're #1 on Hacker News at the moment!

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 14:55:13 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 at 14:30:57 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> The current HN rules state: "Don't solicit upvotes, comments,
> or submissions." I don't know if they've changed the rules over
> time, but it used to mean that if you posted something on a
> forum so that everyone would vote for it, the post would be
> deleted or pushed off the front page.

So I guess Walter explicitly calling out voting as a reason he
doesn't link the article itself qualifies as soliciting votes? It
certainly makes it hard to argue that isn't the case.

I didn't even know voting was an intended thing until I mentioned
it on IRC and in here. And my response there is still my stance:

14:28 <GooberMan> irrelevant if it drops off the front page in an
hour's time anyway
14:28 <GooberMan> take a screenshot if you have to, linking to
the front page is pointless for timespans of longer than a few
hours

(Article is at #4 currently, seen it go down past #10 since this
thread started)