Nim's new cycle collector

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Apr 30 14:56:51 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 30 April 2020 at 13:49:54 UTC, Bienlein wrote

> Eventually, a mix of reference counting and manual memory
> management would do.

There is another language called "V language". There the author
claims that the language will feature some kind static analysis
of lifetimes like Rust but also reference counting. The compiler
tries to do static analysis in order to figure out when an object
goes out of scope. If the compiler fails, it will just add
reference counting to the object. This approach is kind of
transparent saves you from the explicitness of Rust but do
optimizes where it can. This is just according to he author but
so far an idea without any realization yet. I don't know how
similar this approach is to Swift. I'm just guessing here but I
think this is where we are heading when it comes to memory
management.

Reference counting is usually completely ok for systems
programming but it would be nice to have this kind of
optimization.