type variables

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 18:21:17 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 17:27:43 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:

> How is that easier?
>
> It requires you to have a stack, which also means that you have
> to keep track of the stack frames in order to execute this in
> your head.

To some extent this is a matter of experience and personal taste.

If you are comfortable reading recursive code, it is quite simple
to understand a function with a single base case and a single
recursive case. There is no need to keep track of individual
stack frames in your head.

Perhaps my experience in this regard is different from the rest
of the D community? I learned about recursion in my first year of
undergraduate education, so I assumed this sort of thing would be
considered common knowledge among experienced programmers.