I wish all qualifiers were revisited with an eye for simplification

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 11:45:22 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 at 20:50:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> * Nobody - probably not even Timon - knows what "shared" does
> or is supposed to do and not do. The most I got from Walter
> ever is "shared is intentionally restricted so you can't do
> much without a cast". Yet the definition of "much" and the
> conditions under which casting is legit are not anywhere to be
> found.

Shared today is a half-baked implementation of a half-thought
idea. Manu wrote[0] almost two years ago what it should be: you
can't read or write from a shared object, and only shared methods
may be called on it. This was made into a DIP[1], and is
half-way(?) implemented in the compiler as
-preview=nosharedaccess. The semantics are effective and easy to
understand.

--
   Simen

[0]: