What happened to phobos compile time?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Tue Aug 4 12:55:44 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 at 05:27:36 UTC, RazvanN wrote:

> I'm curios if there's actually a provable runtime benefit,
> otherwise the performance regression is unacceptable.

It doesn't even matter whether there's a provable runtime benefit
as no one seriously uses DMD for performance-related tasks. There
was a recent internal discussion and everyone on the D dev team
(except Walter) agreed that it's smarter to use an optimizer with
much more stakeholders than to divert D's small development
capacities into a self-maintained optimizer.

Team Phobos for a long time now doesn't even benchmark Phobos
functions with DMD, but LDC only. In other words: Phobos does not
cater anymore for the shortcomings of DMD's optimizer and I don't
see any reason why it should.

So this PR should have never been merged and should be reverted
immediately.