I wish all qualifiers were revisited with an eye for simplification

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 06:06:27 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 13 August 2020 at 19:22:29 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Shouldn't shared just be a relaxation in compiler checks so
> that any data that has the "shared" qualifier is allowed to be
> shared between threads. This is pretty much what __gshared is
> about.

It should help the programmer write bug-free code, which
__gshared does not. A panacea would be great, but more
realistically we should disallow reading, writing and calling
non-shared methods on shared data in @safe code. This limits the
number of places where races can exist, but still (sadly)
requires the programmer to know what he's doing when he writes
shared code.

--
   Simen