[OT] Dear Google Cloud: Your Deprecation Policy is Killing You

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Aug 17 11:16:00 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-17 00:03, jmh530 wrote:
> Ran across this via reddit yesterday and thought people here might find
> it interesting.
>
> https://medium.com/@steve.yegge/dear-google-cloud-your-deprecation-policy-is-killing-you-ee7525dc05dc

If you never can remove anything, you have to live with the old baggage
forever. The means documentation, books, specs and other material that
wants to be complete need to still include the deprecated things. There
are also some language issue that can never be fixed, like implicitly
convert integer and character literals to bool (I guess they could be
fixed by introducing new types). With a library code it's much easier,
just point users to a new function.

This is basically what happens to C++. Adding new things, never remove
the old. The old will always be around. I'm sure there still new code
being written that uses old style C++. The biggest advantage and
disadvantage with C++ is the C source level compatibility.

Perhaps something like editions in Rust. For D, that would be something
like supporting D2 and adding new non-breaking things to it. At the same
time developing D3 which gets the new non-breaking things and possibly
breaking changes as well. Both editions working side by side in the same
application. But it's the same problem as always, we don't have the
manpower.

--
/Jacob Carlborg