no-autodecode -- game plan

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:47:46 UTC 2020

On 8/19/20 4:45 AM, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 August 2020 at 17:00:52 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> TL;DR: I'm working on removing autodecoding from phobos. I have the
>> first real PR: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/7595
>
> Will this in the long run affect user-code anyway?

Yes, user code that depends on "xyz".front being dchar will be affected,
etc. I expect that at some point soon (as I fix modules), we will get to
a point where no-autodecode phobos is cohesive enough that we can start
testing other projects. Then we will see the extent of the breakage. I
don't really want to commit to saying how much there will be. My gut
tells me there will be little breakages everywhere, but that are easily
fixed.

Having a straightforward strategy as to how to migrate to
non-autodecoding phobos would be key to getting this finalized.

> And how will it affect compiled code?

Considering that nearly all "optimizations" that concern autodecode go
back to treating narrow strings as arrays, I'd say it's going to be a
net positive in terms of performance.

-Steve