no-autodecode -- game plan

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:13:28 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 19 August 2020 at 12:56:33 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> That's a rather unique position.

It is a major version bump to indicate a split in backward
compatibility. You'd treat it just like that in any other
context; the module name just includes the x in semver's x.y.z.

This beats using a git branch because both can exist
simultaneously. Suppose you import library old that uses the
autodecoding version but you want to use library new that
doesn't. No problem, both co-exist now.

Managing it can be tricky though, perhaps you would use a git
branch internally to distribute and cherry-pick patches but then
the release includes all the supported versions for simultaneous
import. Though I suspect if we don't make a new one until the old
one is frozen it won't be that much work anyway (at least if the
compiler stops breaking code).

That's why it is v2021, indicating it is the year 2021 release.
It gets frozen at some point in the year and then other breaking
changes are put in v2022 which carries on the tradition.