no-autodecode -- game plan

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:21:35 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 19 August 2020 at 13:10:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Don't copy everything, alias everything that doesn't need
> change and only add the declarations that should be changed.

Yes, that too.

> The only problem I see with this is documentation. We need to
> have an easy way to define and navigate documentation for
> different versions of the stdlib.

My dpldocs.info can already pull any specific version you want
from git:

http://phobos.dpldocs.info/v2.076.0/std.algorithm.html

just a fun fact. I've kinda wanted it to show automatic change
logs in the past but haven't gotten around to that yet...

But anyway, with aliases, they'd be hyperlinked automatically (at
least by my doc gen) and with different major version package
namespaces, all would be available naturally.

I'm convinced we could make it work, if it doesn't already, it
shouldn't be insurmountable tweaks to the doc generators.

> That article by Yegge once more convinced me - we need to stop
> (thinking of) changing and start adding. We've been paralyzed
> by the fear of change while the opportunity (made even better
> by a nice module system) was always there.

Glad to see others finally seeing this! Back before dub came out
I argued we should use the module system for this and found no
traction. I even gave up on doing it myself (but instead I simply
don't break my code - the arsd library has had a total of 8
breaking changes going back a decade across all 70+ of its
modules and most of them are trivial).

But it still remains on my mind as a viable thing to explore in
more detail someday.