Pattern matching is-expressions

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:48:49 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 19 August 2020 at 13:37:54 UTC, Dennis wrote:
> The existence of meta-programming libraries wrapping traits and
> is-expressions is a sign that D's introspection is not
> intuitive or ergonomic.

I'm not convinced of that, I think these are just ideological.
Like the reason std.traits exists and __traits has the __ is just
that they felt it *should* be library, not that it *had* to be.

But perhaps there is just too steep of a learning curve, like I
said, I didn't *really* get it myself until I was forced to by
writing the book on it. Just... maybe we should make the docs
easier to understand (the spec is quite bad for really getting it
- but realizing it just mirrors the declaration helps a lot) and
see if these libs start dying.

I'd also love to kill the libs because 1) they are invariably
buggy and 2) they always bloat compile times and dmd ram to
unacceptable amounts.