`in` parameters made useful

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Thu Aug 20 15:59:24 UTC 2020

On Friday, 31 July 2020 at 21:49:25 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/11000

1. Deprecation of `in ref` makes no sense. Why? I assume it's due
to a bug in the proposed change. How the compiler should know
that the argument should be passed by ref? I doesn't necessarily
know how to load the argument, it may have alignment and
synchronization requirements. And more importantly how the
programmer can know whether the argument is passed by ref, now
that it varies by platform?
2. Dependence on calling convention. AIU ref semantics depends on
parameter position?
3. Runtime hooks don't go through semantic checks. Is this a
theoretical concern or did you introduce some new behavior that
causes problem with this?