Is there any language that native-compiles faster than D?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Aug 21 06:20:18 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-20 22:50, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> After having evaluated the compilation speed of D compared to other
> languages at
>
>      https://github.com/nordlow/compiler-benchmark
>
> I wonder; is there any language that compiles to native code anywhere
> nearly as fast or faster than D, except C?

I'm surprised that you only have gccgo and not the reference/official
(or whatever it's called) implementation. That one uses a fully custom
tool chain, i.e. custom compiler, custom assembler, custom object format
and custom linker. I'm sure it's faster than gccgo and it might be
faster than D as well.

There's some work on a new Rust backend [1] as well. Not sure if that
usable yet.

What about Nim and Vala, don't they count since they're generating C code?

[1] https://jason-williams.co.uk/a-possible-new-backend-for-rust (first
hit on Google)

--
/Jacob Carlborg