help needed to bring Windows SecureChannel to dlang-requests

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Mon Aug 24 09:41:59 UTC 2020

On Monday, 24 August 2020 at 04:06:27 UTC, ikod wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's probably time to ask for help with long standing problem
> with SSL support for dlang-requests under Windows.
>
> dlang requests is HTTP/FTP client library, inspired by
> python-requests. For long time it have support for ssl using
> dynamic load of openssl library version 1.0 or 1.1 (whatever
> user have in system). This works fine under Linux and OSX, but
> not under Windows.
>
> The problem: in Windows to use OpenSSL you have to find,
> download and install openssl package from some thirtd party
> site. Library user is not always have enough skills to perform
> every step successfully, and what is worse - dlang requests
> have not enough skills to find installed library at runtime, so
> sometimes it succeed with SSL under Windows and sometimes - not.
>
> I'd like to fix this problem using Windows native
> SecureChannel, but I know too little about windows programming
> and even less about secure channel. I need a person  skilled in
> both topics, who I can ask questions. I don't ask to write code
> for me, I just need some expertise.
>
> If you feel you can help - please ping me on the project page -
> https://github.com/ikod/dlang-requests or by email
> igor.khasilev at gmail.com
>
> Thanks!

 From a security point of view this is fantastic. Because in case
of a security issue, Microsoft will solve it automatically via
the windows updates.

Security issues in OpenSSL causes the developers to distribute
new software packages to their customers.

SecureChannel would be a huge improvement. Maybe a
recommendation, maybe you can join forces with vibe-d developers
on this topic?

Kind regards
Andre