Is there any language that native-compiles faster than D?

James Lu jamtlu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 01:31:01 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 26 August 2020 at 01:13:47 UTC, James Lu wrote:
> However, I suspect by the time the fastest and most balanced D
> compiler finishes compiling the program and executing it, V8
> will already have finished executing it.

DMD -O doesn't make a significant difference over DMD, clocking
in at 12 seconds total.

LDC2 -O/-O2 has the best compilation-execution total, clocking in
at 5.4 seconds. Subtracting the link time gets 5.0 seconds.

Its code generation phase (measured by measuring the time between
-v's "code" and the link command) takes 2.6 seconds.

In contrast, compilation+execution for V8 JavaScript 2.0 seconds.
V8's --trace-opt says it compiles each function once, and
compilation (SSA creation, optimization, and code generation)
takes a grand total of 0.027 seconds.

LDC's code generation is over 100 times slower. Surely there's
opportunities for profiling and optimization here. (dmd's code
generation is too bad to count.)