Unsafe, unchecked message-passing with std.concurrency

Elronnd elronnd at elronnd.net
Thu Aug 27 08:59:45 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 27 August 2020 at 08:46:31 UTC, Simen Kjærås wrote:
> Since you're fine with unsafe, unchecked - why not just lie to
> the compiler? Cast the data to shared and send it on its merry
> way?

It's bothersome and error-prone.  I have to cast the data to
shared.  I also have to remember to receive a shared object on
the other side (and if I forget, I won't get a compile error,
stuff will just silently break).  Once I've received it, I have
to cast away the shared again if I want to be able to use the
object for anything.  I'll do that if I have to, (or write my
message-passing library, or repurpose one from C), but would be
nice if there were another solution.