Variable chunk sizes operations

Mihaela Chirea chireamihaela99 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 23:33:49 UTC 2020

I started working on this issue and I reached a point where some
more opinions would be needed:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/7600

Since the range is split into uneven parts, some operations can
only be done in O(n).
Slicing requires taking into account all the first elements of
the range specifying the chunk lengths to find the starting point
in the source range.
Back and popBack also need to find where that last chunk is since
the source length and the provided lengths wouldn't necessarily
match.

As mentioned in the pull request comments, the complexity of the
program using these might be higher than expected.

So should they be provided in spite of their complexity? Or would
a forward range(at most) be enough?