Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 16:34:00 UTC 2020

On Monday, 31 August 2020 at 14:42:04 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Monday, 31 August 2020 at 05:28:06 UTC, Ali wrote:
>>
>> Other than that, I think the biggest challenges are making
>> sure all features fit and work together nicely and marketing,
>> making D more popular grow the community etc ...
>
> I think developers want stability and not a language that
> chases for the next compiler technology trend as soon as it
> pops up.

If it were only a question of figuring out "what developers want"
and then implementing it, language design would be easy. :)

The messy truth is that different developers want different
things, and no group of developers ever agrees completely on what
they do or don't want. I mean, think about how much people argue
about tabs vs. spaces, or vim vs. emacs. Do you really think
these same people are going to come to a clear consensus about
stability vs. innovation?