Kernel buffer overflow exposes iPhone 11 Pro to radio based attacks

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Dec 3 10:07:19 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 3 December 2020 at 09:04:56 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> F-Secure apparently is living in a phantasy world,
> https://www.f-secure.com/en/consulting/foundry/usb-armory

How does this product has to do with safe and unsafe language
designs?

On Thursday, 3 December 2020 at 09:16:06 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Ah, and NVidia is going phantasy land as well,
> https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/02/05/adacore-secure-autonomous-driving/

The answer is still no, you cannot write a kernel in a safe
language without breaking  outside the safety features. You can
write a kernel in Rust but many portions must be in unsafe mode,
for example unions are not safe in Rust. Ada and SPARK are likely
to be good languages if you want to create stable SW however like
I wrote before in order to write a kernel you're likely to step
outside the safety harness in these languages as well. Kernel SW
is inherently unsafe.