Kernel buffer overflow exposes iPhone 11 Pro to radio based attacks

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Dec 4 15:33:40 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-02 18:52, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> D made a bunch of seemingly-minor, but actually game-changing decisions
> that eliminate 95% of the above-mentioned problems.  The single biggest
> one is probably the D array aka fat pointer, as far as memory bugs are
> concerned.  There are a bunch of others, which others have mentioned.
> The general design in D is to make the simplest, most naïve code
> memory-safe, and you have to work at it if you want to bypass that
> safety net for systems programming reasons.  Which means you'll be
> thinking harder about your code, and hopefully more aware of potential
> issues and catch yourself before making slip-ups.  That's the way the
> incentives should be, not the other way round as it is in C.

Unfortunately it's still very easy to bypass most safety features in D.
Especially since everything is @system by default. All the features of C
are still available, one have to pick the D specific features to be
safe. I've seen many many times on the forums that people are asking
questions with examples containing C style code with raw pointers and
calling functions in the C standard library instead of using the D
equivalent.

--
/Jacob Carlborg