My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 21:07:52 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 20:04:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I wish I had more fluency with Go to be able to figure its
> pluses and minuses. I find it difficult (for the kind of stuff
> I am inclined to do) to reckon that you need to implement
> simple functions such as min and max several times. But when I
> do e.g. shell scripting I don't care for such things. I wonder
> where Go fits - someplace where sophisticated abstraction isn't
> needed yet there's still processing and networking to be done.

As a language, completely uninteresting. As an ecosystem, very
useful. Lighter than Java, still solid runtime. Good cloud
support. Decent standard lib for webservices with plenty of
online tutorials, like Python. Many libs that you want to use in
Python have Go equivalents. The more people who use it for
webservices, the more useful it gets for that space.

Not unlike Perl in the 90s.