My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 23:55:43 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 21:38:40 UTC, Daniel N wrote:
> But what I don't get is, why would anyone choose Go over C# for
> instance, it also has an excellent ecosystem but the language
> is actually decent unlike Go.

My guesses:

I think it would be that Go is perceived as more light weight.
For cloud solutions you pay for memory usage and spin up time.
Maybe C# has become just as efficient over time, I haven't seen a
comparison, but I think the perception is that C# and Java demand
too much resources. Right or wrong.

The trend is that big servers are less attractive and with things
like Cloud Functions you instead have just one handler per
executable... So you want the runtime to be very light, since
each "server" does very little on its own. Maybe Rust or some
other language will outcompete Go eventually though. Right now,
I'd say that eco system stability is a big win for Go.

Anyway, I guess Go is also becoming competitive for command line
programs because of this, as libraries useful for writing
web-services tend to be useful for writing batch processing
programs too.