My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:56:54 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 8 December 2020 at 17:29:58 UTC, Robert M. Münch
wrote:
> And, it's not only about delivering ASAP, which implies that I
> can keep my team productive, which means a simpler, limited
> language is better.

In Go it means more code that tends to be more difficult to read
(in comparison with Python).

> However, maintainability is key too. I need to ramp-up new
> team-members as quick as possible. They need to understand
> foreign code ASAP, they should spend time on the code base, not
> fiddling around with the tools or language specs to understand
> what they see.

Actually, a powerful IDE with a language that supports high
quality static analysis is the best option. They certainly should
learn the tools.

Advanced metaprogramming can be hurtful to reading comprehension,
which is why I think a language should fully separate library
code from application code. Impulsive metaprogramming is just a
bad idea for a program that is supposed to grow over time.