FeedbackThread: DIP 1038-- at nodiscard--Community Review Round 1

Robert burner Schadek rburners at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:40:08 UTC 2020

The "Rationale -> Error handling without exceptions sections
argument" is wrong.

1. I know of at least one package marked as "optimized for fast
execution" that throws.

2. Just because you bind to other languages does not mean that
you can not throw.
I would even argue, building a nice D interface with exceptions
is the purpose of any language binding written in D.

3. Many package don't use categories, so the numbers are off by
default.

4. Just because people say there package works with @nogc,
doesn't mean it does.

The only "correct" way to get to any percentage, is to try to use
all packages from code that is nothrow and/or @nogc.