Discussion Thread: DIP 1038-- at nodiscard--Community Review Round 1

Guillaume Piolat first.name at guess.com
Fri Dec 11 08:03:06 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 9 December 2020 at 10:10:40 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the discussion thread for the first round of Community
> Review of DIP 1038, "@nodiscard":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/58b29a85fdf3cbf3521235e40f2a66e141e856c2/DIPs/DIP1038.md

So, er.... I feel in the "target market" of this DIP, we use
D-with-runtime-disabled
and the codebase is completely @nogc.
The DIP is not that appealing to me because we do manage to
throw/catch anyway with manually allocated exceptions.

So most likely I would put this attribute in the "do not use"
list of D features.

I'd be more excited about:
- throw-by-value exceptions
- a way to use exceptions in @nogc and even -betterC (There was a
DIP for it, it was implemented, but doesn't work IIRC)
than improving error codes.

That said, I have no real idea how much needed this DIP is.