Alternatives to travis-ci

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Fri Dec 11 12:42:49 UTC 2020

On Friday, 11 December 2020 at 11:30:39 UTC, drug wrote:
> On 12/11/20 1:34 PM, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:
>> On Thursday, 10 December 2020 at 11:52:41 UTC, M.M. wrote:
>> [snip] Outside of the GitHub monoculture, GitLab, as mentioned
>> by Basile, is the best choice as they offer the most
>> integrated development environment.
>
> It is also can be self-hosted, that really a big plus.
>
> But what push me off is those continuous changes of GUI that
> sometimes makes me thinking they just try to sure investors
> that money has been spent to reasons.

Well on the last deployment they pushed a change that has for
effect to display a tree view of the files changed in a MR on the
left main area and the diff on the right main area. I would have
rather choose to keep a full diff in the main area and added a
combobox on the top that display the tree, but apart that, no UI
changes were anoying so far.

Otherwise annoyances i've encountered:
- two few very specific or minor bugs/problems
- a big bug in their link system but it is fixed now as it was
"epic"

It's still good for your own stuff, and apparently even for big
companies (even if they self host gitlab in this case).

In the worst of the cases you can use external CI for windows and
osx. For example the binary release of dexed for windows is build
on appveyor, triggered by tag pushes on the main repo that's
hosted on gitlab.org.