Future of D

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 18:47:39 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 9 December 2020 at 15:42:15 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> https://aberba.com/2020/why-i-still-use-d/
>
> Valid points?

It's an interesting article. For me I'm not that bothered whether
D becomes huge as long as it keeps growing, and remains "vital".
It's more important to me to be able to do funded/paid projects
with D - that's the cirlce I'm trying to square. Other than that
I'm more interested in the "quality of the language", whether it
works well, remains powerful and productive, and feels "good"
when I write it.

I'm also more interested in the community. One thing that
initially shocked me about the D language is that random people
would suddenly turn up and start "dissing" the language and the
community seemed to take these criticisms in its stride, which I
really liked. I wouldn't like D community to become toxic, aloof,
or to drive out criticisms even if they seem unfair. These can
easily happen in programming language forums/communities. Even if
it leads to nothing dissent can be healthy.

I think that funded projects in academic departments can be a one
way of increasing the popularity of D. For example an academic
keen on D chooses to implement some government funded application
in D, which other people use and become familiar with the
language. This is often the way languages become more popular -
or gain widespread use, e.g. Scala (from Spark) and Julia (from
many different projects).