Future of D

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Sun Dec 13 20:59:10 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 19:33:30 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> I really think properly killing the GC

What do you mean by this? What would take its place, and what
practical steps would need to be taken? And above all, how can
the language and library features that rely on the GC today be
replaced by alternatives that are as appealing?

> would give us a big boost in fresh blood to the community. It
> would still be there, but it's a huge turn off to new users.

I don’t understand, when it’s still there, GCfobics will still
think there is reason to look elsewhere. There are various ways
to use D without garbage collection today, so it is important to
define what this imaginary language will look like.

I don’t think there is a boatload of fresh blood just waiting for
a different D even if is has a GC that has been killed.

I love the features that are enabled by the GC and I love not
needing to worry about the problems that manual memory management
brings.

Above all, I just don’t buy that “it's a huge turn off to new
users”.

I think D hits the sweet spot with a pluggable, configurable,
profilable and optional garbage collector!

— Bastiaan.