Future of D

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 21:18:38 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 19:33:30 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:

> I really think properly killing the GC would give us a big
> boost in fresh blood to the community. It would still be there,
> but it's a huge turn off to new users. That and a bit of
> blog-spam, I constantly see articles for new languages that are
> (frankly) a bit rubbish compared to various D features but
> because they are post-(new generation of languages) they are
> "cooler"

Not really. GC tends to be the least-effort way to get your
average code to work, so it remains a good "default" way to do
things. We should strive to make life without GC as easy as
possible, but that does not mean changing the default allocation
strategy.

For Phobos-like code, the GC may seem old-fashioned -I used to
think the way too. But for your average application code that
does not need to be that finished, it's a totally different story.