Future of D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun Dec 13 23:08:05 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 22:53:31 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> It's easy to sit around in our armchairs pontificating about
> how, if only "the D community" (read: someone else) would do X,
> Y, or Z, all of our problems would be solved.
>
> It's harder, but ultimately much more rewarding, to roll up
> one's sleeves and actually make a positive contribution.

This is not a one man job which someone can make a neat preview
of. It's a decision that has to be made from the maintainers so
that several people can start working with such a big task. Also
documenting what needs to be done. This ties into the original
post with the blog post, that the D project has problems with
rallying people towards a common goal (which today is very vague).

People starting to add and change things randomly and then hoping
that it will be accepted and be merged isn't really a good way to
run a project.