ARM first & default LDC

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 09:57:05 UTC 2020

On Monday, 14 December 2020 at 04:35:31 UTC, 9il wrote:
> ARM is going to conquer laptop and PC markets in the next few
> years.
>
> Making LDC a default compiler looks like a more rational
> solution. By default, I mean a branch where we do the main work
> on the compiler and DRuntime and what is used to make the first
> release of the new version of the compiler.
>
> I just realized why we still have DMD as the default compiler
> and why probably we would have it in the near future.
>
> D Foundation wants to have full power to make all key
> decisions. Making LDC a default compiler would also mean they
> would need to share their authority with others. That is only
> my opinion, I don't pretend it is right.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ilya

I think you're mixing up two things here.

DMD is Walter's baby and he's going to continue with that, having
power over it is secondary to that.

D Foundation of course want to retain control over what they have
built, it's years and years of their hard work, decades even. Why
should they give control to someone else and why think that that
other group would do any better? Arguably it would be
irresponsible to do that.