Future of D

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:12:55 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 22:18:26 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> D needs to differentiate managed and raw pointers, this has to
> be done in order to get out of the tracing GC swamp.

I think `@live` without that differentation does the job better.
It is a relatively cheap solution that does not even try to be
perfect. The managed-unmanaged pointers are better in theory, as
they can be more foolproof, but they have many times as much
complexity. Since most of the code can avoid memory corruption
simply by using the GC, I doubt whether closing that gap in
`@live` is worth that much.