Future of D

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:42:41 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 23:08:05 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 22:53:31 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>>
>> It's easy to sit around in our armchairs pontificating about
>> how, if only "the D community" (read: someone else) would do
>> X, Y, or Z, all of our problems would be solved.
>>
>> It's harder, but ultimately much more rewarding, to roll up
>> one's sleeves and actually make a positive contribution.
>
> This is not a one man job which someone can make a neat preview
> of. It's a decision that has to be made from the maintainers so
> that several people can start working with such a big task.
> Also documenting what needs to be done. This ties into the
> original post with the blog post, that the D project has
> problems with rallying people towards a common goal (which
> today is very vague).
>
> People starting to add and change things randomly and then
> hoping that it will be accepted and be merged isn't really a
> good way to run a project.

Very well put.

The main point of my post is that "What needs to be done" isn't
documented so unless you've spent some time in the community to
identify the issues out of experience or see them as they pop up
here in the forum.

Hence D needs a Project Manager in addition to the PR Manager
(wait what happened to the PR manager?). I know devs don't like
project managers but the absence of such a person might not speak
well to certain companies/individuals looking to invest in D
(even if they like it). Isn't that one of the reasons why we have
a foundation in the first place? Without knowing the high-level
roadmap or core language priorities, what's there to invest in?
What about those looking for interesting problems for their
thesis? New volunteers?

BeerConf has created room for community members to chat and
discuss D issues, and some ideas/mobilization has come from that.
It's a similar thing for why there needs to be a roadmap or (at
least) a priority list of some kind.

Individualism simply isn't going to cut it.