ARM first & default LDC

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 14 22:37:09 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:15:38PM +0000, Max Samukha via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 14 December 2020 at 21:22:25 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 08:53:19PM +0000, Max Haughton via Digitalmars-d
> > wrote: [...]
> > > Besides, having 3 compilers is healthy (Isn't GCC on the cusp of
> > > getting an up to date frontend, too?) for the language and it's
> > > users.
> >
> > Walter has said this before: before we had 3 compilers, the
> > naysayers were saying, "what's wrong with D? how come it only has 1
> > compiler? Bus factor, yadda yadda yadda".  Now that we have 3
> > compilers, and the naysayers are saying "why is D so divided? Why
> > are there 3 compilers instead of one official compiler? Yadda yadda
> > yadda"
>
> That's a strawman. The OP didn't say multiple compilers were bad. He
> said the "master" compiler should have ARM support for the language to
> survive, and moving to LDC would be the most rational way to achieve
> that.

Why does there need to be a "master" compiler anyway?  The whole reason
for having multiple compilers is so that people can *choose* between
alternatives.  Want ARM support?  Pick LDC.  It's as simple as that.
All it takes is for the download page to have a table of target
architectures mapped to a list of compilers that support that
architecture.  That's all.

Windows: the ultimate triumph of marketing over technology. -- Adrian von Bidder