ARM first & default LDC

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Dec 15 10:13:41 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 15 December 2020 at 08:06:34 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:

> I work with ARM daily (automotive) and I'm skeptical of that
> assumption. Sure Apple is moving over, but that's a more
> centralised and controlled ecosystem. It won't be as easy with
> Windows or GNU+Linux.
>
> Why would the developers put in all that effort if it turns out
> to be another "Year of the Linux desktop" or "Rust is superior
> and everyone will be using it"?It would be safer and less of a
> hassle to react to market conditions than to predict and
> preempt them.
>
> Let the chips fall where they may, and work based on that. It's
> too early yet.

Apple might have gone over to ARM but in the Windows world x86
isn't going away anytime soon. There is simply too much SW for
x86 for people making the switch. There are x86 emulators but the
performance is probably not satisfactory right now.

I would rather say that ARM is getting more competition in
embedded. Because of the recent sales of ARM, this is enough to
get some people scared. They believe that the business model of
ARM is going away or they will refocus. Regardless if this is
true or not some are looking at alternatives and that might be
RISC V. Also where cost is important RISC V will have an
advantage. The rising star in my opinion is RISC V.