ARM first & default LDC

Guillaume Piolat first.name at guess.com
Tue Dec 15 16:51:10 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 15 December 2020 at 08:06:34 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:
> On Monday, 14 December 2020 at 04:35:31 UTC, 9il wrote:
>> ARM is going to conquer laptop and PC markets in the next few
>> years.
>
> I work with ARM daily (automotive) and I'm skeptical of that
> assumption. Sure Apple is moving over, but that's a more
> centralised and controlled ecosystem. It won't be as easy with
> Windows or GNU+Linux.

I would say Apple is more interested in being able to deprecate
stuff than in the architecture itseful.

For example in that macOS arm64, Universal Binary 2 (arm64 +
x86_64) built in macOS 11.0 won't work anymore in macOS 10.11 so
it will make the users stuck on this macOS version to eventually
**buy another Mac**, which is the entire point of it all. Each
year, as a software dev they make you drop one or two versions
quite efficiently.