Future of D

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:39:38 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 10:04:03 UTC, ddcovery wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 December 2020 at 17:45:20 UTC, a11e99z wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
> From my personal experience, the complication comes because D
> libraries and compiler itself follows the "convention" over
> "contract" way (similar to the "convention" over
> "configuration" with ruby on rails :-) ).
>
> [...]

Consider that C++ has only just got template constraints
(concepts), and they have been at the design stage, roughly,
since I was born on to this earth.

We have template constraints already, we could have nicer
template constraints as a fairly trivial library solution
(composing them isn't hard), but ultimately more templates puts a
lot of pressure on the compiler for not much benefit.