ARM first & default LDC

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:33:12 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 01:37:50 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 December 2020 at 23:11:32 UTC, twk wrote:
>> I would like to point out that ARM also has other competition:
>>
>> https://riscv.org/
>>
>> So we do not want to base all of our decisions on ARM.
>
> My point was to sidestep the whole argument about what
> ISA/platform is going to be the most popular one and also which
> backend should be the default among dmc/gcc/llvm by choosing
> neither and building a new one from scratch.
> Perhaps it wasn't apparent from my post, but I was joking :)

Actually, it was a pretty good idea, but I dont think Walter
would accept that dmd is turned into a pure reference
implementation.  It would have made it easier to improve the
language IMO.  Making experimental changes to dmd has an
unfortunately high implementation cost. A simpler reference
implementation would surely open up for a serious code base
cleanup and encourage more experimental language additions.