[OT] Why software ends up complex

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Wed Dec 16 17:03:01 UTC 2020

On 16 Dec 2020 at 11:59:37 CET, "claptrap" <clap at trap.com> wrote:

> I think he's making a distinction between complexity that is
> inherent to the problem and unnecessary complexity due to a poor
> solution.
>
> Unnecessary complexity is mostly down to lack of orthogonality I
> think. If you have a bunch of small independent parts its' much
> easier to reason about how the code you're looking at will
> behave. But if the parts change how they behave based on the
> context, or have exceptions or corner cases, then you have to
> hold a lot more in your head at one time to understand whats
> going on.
>
> I think the point is complexity is less about how much stuff you
> have, and more about how it all interacts.

Yes, thanks for the extended explanation.

The other dimension is complication: For a necessary complexity you can come
up with a smart & simple solution or with a complicated one.

And if you now have non-value complexity (many things to handle) due to poor
design, combined with a complicated implementation due to a poor solution, you
are doomed.

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com