ARM first & default LDC

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Dec 17 08:52:40 UTC 2020

On 12/16/2020 2:33 AM, Max Haughton wrote:
> I know I just like the dmd-style ones, it feels much more ergonomic than the
> equivalent in C++. I'm not a huge fan of GCC style asm, but ultimately I guess
> I'm bikeshedding.

The dmd-style ones hearken back to the good ole DOS days, where MASM matched the
Intel documentation. It's an evolved version of the inline assembler used by
Digital Mars C, which matches MASM and Intel.

Intel has kept the same syntax ever since, and DMD's inline asm has kept on
matching it.

The same syntax is generated by obj2asm.

If DMD ever did an ARM back end, the syntax would match the official ARM
vendor's CPU documentation.