ARM first & default LDC

claptrap clap at trap.com
Thu Dec 17 10:02:56 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 17 December 2020 at 06:52:08 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/14/2020 1:57 AM, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> DMD is Walter's baby and he's going to continue with that,
>> having power over it is secondary to that.
>>
>> D Foundation of course want to retain control over what they
>> have built, it's years and years of their hard work, decades
>> even. Why should they give control to someone else and why
>> think that that other group would do any better? Arguably it
>> would be irresponsible to do that.
>

> Having DMD means we can support whatever target we want to, we
> are not constrained by a community we don't really have a voice
> in.

That's a specious argument.

"Having DMD means we can add whatever optimisations we want to,
we arnt constrained by a community we dont really have a voice
in."

And yet why does DMD suck at optimising code? Because a freedom
to do something that nobody has the resources to do is next to
useless.

And lets be honest if LLVM doesnt support it, it's pretty small
potatoes, who's going to go to that kind of effort to add some
niche architecture to DMD?