[OT] Why software ends up complex

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 22:47:22 UTC 2020

On Friday, 18 December 2020 at 16:39:39 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> Yes.  What matters is simplicity as accurately perceived by the
> reader of the language and, to a lesser extent, simplicity as
> perceived by the compiler writers.
>
> Language augmentations, unarguably, make a language
> implementation more complex but they can also make the language
> simpler to use correctly.

Indeed. Like, any aspect of the type checker that doesn't affect
code gen could be defined to be outside the core language (e.g. a
borrow checker, sanitization). And as we start to see with more
and more advanced IDEs, that aspect of the language does not have
to be embedded in the compiler, but yet the programmer may
perceive that the feedback they get from the IDE does contribute
to the experienced language (as they see it). The boundary is not
as clear as it once was.