Can D used for BIG-HUGE projects?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 09:31:14 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 09:13:00 UTC, Godnyx wrote:
> problems we're going to face? I'm asking that cause I'm
> learning programming (I'm close to complete my first year) and
> I'm planning to use D for big projects in the future and if I'm
> gonna have problems with that, I would like to know why. Also
> are there any big D project (rather than Dub and the compilers
> themselves of course)

What do you mean by big project? Most big projects on servers
break up their code-base into many smaller executables. Makes
changes easier, scaling easier, debugging easier, and overall a
more robust approach. That can also be the case for applications
(or they break the executable into into several linkable
libraries with a clean separation layer).

In general, building large executables in a system level
programming language is a bad idea as the probability of there
being a fatal bug in the code base will approach 1 as the code
base grows. The performance you can squeeze out of a system
programming language does come with high debt.

If you want to write huge applications, you are better off using
a high level language like C# or Java.  Not D specific, applies
to all system level languages, also C/C++.

If you want to do something with low latency and have a code base
with high complexity then the stop-the-world garbage collection
strategy will most certainly become an issue you will have to
deal with one way or another. The probability of this becoming an
issue will of course increase as the size of the application
grows.

Anyway, if you are just learning programming then
big-huge-projects are 10 years into the future... either that, or
you will link to huge C/C++ libraries. So, you probably should
not worry about that specific aspect.