Can D used for BIG-HUGE projects?

Marlon marlon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 10:29:11 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 10:01:46 UTC, 9il wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 09:53:47 UTC, 9il wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 09:13:00 UTC, Godnyx wrote:
>>> I've find a comment in a post comparing C++ with D and
>>> someone said that D can't be used for big projects cause you
>>> will face problems with it and the community nobody will help
>>> you other than "just don't use const", "we
>>> haven't developed a concensus yet", "we can't convince
>>> Walter",
>>> etc.
>>>

> This is true. You can't count on the community. It is a kind of
> luck to get help for really complex issues. I just trying to do
> not rely on Phobos and if I am facing with compiler issue the
> first thing I am thinking is can I work around it somehow and
> without waiting that it would be fixed one day.

It's so embarrassing ... tons of argument against the
balkanization of the language, and every MAJOR adopter just build
everything from scratch: Weka, Sociomantic ...

We have three different Variant and Algebraic implementation,
with different interface, why? Why different interface? Why not
trying to play with the others?
We have two CPUID implementation, why?
I/O? Dozen
Why core building blocks are duplicated?

The fear was the balkanization of the language, and we have the
balkanization of everything else.

And 9il and Symmetry were really a whide delusion in having
contributed to that: everyone alone! For what? Be free, as iLya
wrote one time? To not wait, as wrote here above?

Bleah ... sacrificing the medium-term vision to just have a
short-term solution.

Frankly speaking, a BIG KUDOS to everyone devoted maintain,
improve and keep Phobos running: you all have my total
appreciation.