Can D used for BIG-HUGE projects?

9il ilyayaroshenko at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 11:56:31 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 11:44:18 UTC, Godnyx wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 09:53:47 UTC, 9il wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 09:13:00 UTC, Godnyx wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Hi,
>> While working on a big and huge (>100K LOC) projects for Imo
>> (messenger), Kaleidic Associates (London), and Tamedia
>> (Zurich) I faced with the following problems:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Wait, isn't Phobos the runtime that comes with D? Because I
> don't know how it works exactly, how you don't use it? And how
> do you do stuff?

DRuntime is core.*, it includes GC.
Phobos is std.*, it includes most of the everyday stuff.

I am doing stuff with mir.*, core.lifetime, std.traits, and
std.meta, core.stdc.*.

That all I need. I use Phobos in some cases, but not for big
projects except for debugging purposes.

One of the huge projects I have done is 100% @nogc. It doesn't
even initialize GC. So, you can be sure it is possible, but may
not be easy. mir.rc package from mir-algorithm is used for
ref-counted memory managment.