Can D used for BIG-HUGE projects?

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 14:45:37 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 09:13:00 UTC, Godnyx wrote:
> I've find a comment in a post comparing C++ with D and someone
> said that D can't be used for big projects cause you will face
> problems with it and the community nobody will help you other
> than "just don't use const", "we
> haven't developed a concensus yet", "we can't convince Walter",
> etc.
>
> Is that true? And if yes can someone make some examples of what
> problems we're going to face? I'm asking that cause I'm
> learning programming (I'm close to complete my first year) and
> I'm planning to use D for big projects in the future and if I'm
> gonna have problems with that, I would like to know why. Also
> are there any big D project (rather than Dub and the compilers
> themselves of course)

It's all opinion based. And you should consider the kind of devs
who share that opinion. Mostly system developers (I guess...
still don't know their use cases for D... needs a survey of some
kind) My observation is they kind of have the habit of
criticizing the technicality of existing implementations ... Cus
they can roll their own implementation?? I'm not dismissing that
sometimes their use case may warrants it. But that's up to those
system developers.

Personally (considering what I use D for... Web, APIs, Scripting,
GUI, data processing, prototyping ideas) I see D as more than
capable of nailing any problem I have. It's ridiculously to
suggest that JavaScript, Python, C# and Java compares to D in
terms of capability. And those are the most well know langs.

The only thing D lacks compared to any of those major languages
is marketing, tutorials (learning resources) and the number of
packages we have. PM stuff too.

These days the packages available on dub is good enough for most
things I do.