Can D used for BIG-HUGE projects?

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 15:13:41 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 11:44:16 UTC, 9il wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 10:29:11 UTC, Marlon wrote:

> I didn't fork the language. I am backing libraries. It is a
> different things.
> Yes, that is the problem. And don't need to blame people and
> companies that they don't want to spend their time and money
> investing in Phobos. BTW, Symmetry supports works on the
> compiler, DRuntime, and Mir. That is the Dlang Foundation
> problem that people and companies invest in their solutions
> instead of work together under DLF umbrella. Have you thought
> of why? Do you really think, for example, I want to create
> these libraries? No, I wanted to get my job done and go walk
> with my dog.
>
> The fact is that I did a lot of contributions to Phobos and
> then I created std.experimental.ndslice, which was accepted.
> Quite sad. But I don't want to put my efforts into Phobos
> anymore. I can code because companies pay money, and moving
> code to Phobos means work more, get less, and play in the
> sandbox I don't want and don't need to play. If the sandbox
> needs me to play in, it can change the rules. My experience
> with current rules was negative but informative.

I kind of agree with 9il on this and I'm sure if I could roll my
own stuff in such a situation, I would have done that myself.
Phobos isn't really turned for that level of performance and 100%
nogc use case. I'm quite happy about the work Symmetry is doing
in contribution to the packages and ecosystem overall. It gives
everyone the opportunity to use whatever they want. I personally
see nothing wrong with pulling a package from dub vs phobos.

I've seen over and over here how folks complain about the pain
and process around getting anything in phobos.