ARM first & default LDC

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 15:22:34 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 15:14:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 14:20:45 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> Average Joe needs DMD.
>
> Average Joes tend not to use smaller languages, they use the
> most used languages for which there are many online tutorials.
> D has to focus on those bases that are not covered by other
> languages.
I'm an average Joe BTW. When was the last time you met an average
Joe? 😀

>> Given enough time, DMD will get ARM support.
>
> I hope people don't waste resources on adding ARM support, a
> moving target that has to be maintained. That time would be
> better spent on writing a clean high level IR.

Developing with LDC compile time is a huge pain and a big! time
sink. So I rather have it be the default until I don't need it
anymore. UX first.

There's nothing wrong with having three alternative compilers.
Was that the whole point some time back. DMD for development
(mostly), LDC/ GCC for release. Sounds perfect to me.