ARM first & default LDC

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 19:24:34 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 17:40:28 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> Why is it so hard to believe that this is a benefit that an
> actual compiler developer might care for?

Yes, this is important.

I have done patches to dmd myself. It is very quick and
accessible.

I've never even tried to compile the others myself before, it is
just intimidating. But out of curiosity, I tried to compile ldc
just now.

git clone
git submodule init
cmake

OK, it took a full minute to get to this point, but that's OK, it
is just setup.

make

... over a minute later:

/home/me/d/dev/ldc/gen/passes/GarbageCollect2Stack.cpp: In
function ‘void RemoveCall(LLCallBasePtr, const
{anonymous}::Analysis&)’:
/home/me/d/dev/ldc/gen/passes/GarbageCollect2Stack.cpp:446:35:
error: conversion from ‘LLCallBasePtr’ {aka ‘llvm::CallBase*’} to
‘llvm::CallSite’ is ambiguous
   446 |     A.CGNode->removeCallEdgeFor(CB);

yada yada yada.

I have no idea what any of this means, maybe the llvm version on
my box (8.0.1) is too old, but with dmd, it USED to be that
things would just work. It isn't *that* nice anymore, but it
still isn't too hard. Way faster and much less scary = more
likely to get new dev work done.